Sunday, September 21, 2014

Hur pulls away for LPGA Tour win in Alabama

Hur pulls away for LPGA Tour win in Alabama
PRATTVILLE, Ala. (AP) -- Mi Jung Hur was finally able to relax for a couple of holes after matching top-ranked Stacy Lewis stroke for stroke Sunday in the final round of the Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic.
The 24-year-old South Korean player never gave up the last-day lead on her way to a tournament-record 21-under 267 total. Hur birdied four of the final eight holes to beat Lewis by four strokes for her second LPGA Tour victory. The each shot 6-under 66.
Hur was able to savor the end of her round, at least. She made a 36-foot birdie putt on No. 11 and set up much easier birdies after that, including one on No. 16.
''After I made that, I definitely think about winning,'' she said. ''The last two holes, I really enjoyed the golf.''
She allowed herself to go from relief to tears of joy before her second shot on the final hole as she wrapped up her first victory since 2009. Her father, Kwan Moo, served as her caddie and was able to share the moment as she bowed her head crying for several seconds when the win was official.
''It's definitely an exciting week for me,'' Hur said. ''I started with two birdies and it made me so much more comfortable the rest of the round. But Stacy played so well and I definitely thought about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment